ReThink VR Performance
Beginning in the Spring of 2019, RSA, CSAVR, NCSAB, and VR agencies committed to rethinking the way we look at the performance of the VR program, improving results, and maintaining high expectations of both the VR program and individuals with disabilities. Through several meetings in the Summer and Fall of 2019, RSA identified strategies it will adopt to rethink how RSA fosters continuous improvement, enhances collaboration, and maximizes high-quality employment opportunities for customers served by the VR program. During the CSAVR Fall 2019 Conference, RSA presented the ReThink VR Performance Plan outlining goals and specific actions across five priority areas, including the establishment of the RehabData Workgroup. A recording of the presentation is available.
RehabData Workgroup Purpose
In the Fall of 2019, RSA established the RehabData Workgroup consisting of Federal and State representatives with data or program expertise to identify how to use data to best tell the story of the success of the VR program and identify areas for continued evaluation. The Workgroup is charged with developing and distributing tools and information that State VR agencies may use to help assess VR program performance using data that is already being collected. The Workgroup will:
- Analyze VR data in the context of its relationship to WIOA performance measures, other VR program measures, and success of the VR program;
- Develop tools/metrics that State VR agencies may use to gauge performance and to help make the data user friendly and relevant to all VR professionals; and
- Assist RSA in identifying what data RSA can provide, on a regular basis, to all State VR agencies to help assess and inform decisions related to service delivery and performance of the VR program.
RehabData Workgroup Membership
CSAVR and NCSAB assisted RSA with selecting the following Workgroup members:
- Rachel Anderson, San Diego State University (email@example.com)
- Bill Colombo, Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MI-G) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Scott Dennis, Maryland Division of Rehabilitation Services (MD-C) (email@example.com)
- Natasha Jerde, Minnesota State Services for the Blind (MN-B) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Adam Leonard, Texas Workforce Commission (email@example.com)
- Kristen Mackey, Arizona Rehabilitation Services Administration (AZ-C) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
RSA is represented by:
Other Measures That Matter
The RehabData Workgroup developed the Other Measures That Matter to guide VR agencies and RSA as they focus on performance specific to the VR program and define attributes of a successful VR program. The Other Measures That Matter do not replace the primary indicators of performance established by section 116 of WIOA. In fact, some of the Measures build upon the WIOA indicators while others provide an entirely different lens for analysis. The RehabData Workgroup designed these Measures to be used with data that is currently available; these Measures do not require VR agencies to collect or report additional data. On November 10, 2020, the RehabData Workgroup presented the Other Measures That Matter at the CSAVR Fall 2020 Conference; the PowerPoint and presentation are available.
Measurable Skill Gains (MSG) Data Tool
The MSG Data Tool showcases data reported by VR agencies for Program Years 2017 and 2018 and provides National and State-level MSG data to all VR programs while serving as a resource for VR agencies to analyze their MSG data and compare performance to that of the VR program nationally, with similar States, and/or other VR agencies.
Pre-Employment Transition Services Data Tool
The Pre-Employment Transition Services Data Tool highlights data reported by VR agencies for Program Years 2017, 2018 and 2019 and provides National and State-level data related to students with disabilities who received pre-employment transition services. The RehabData Workgroup built the tool to serve as as a resource for VR agencies to analyze these data, compare performance to national trends, similar States, and/or VR agencies.
- Pre-Employment Transition Services Data Tool
- Pre-Employment Transition Services Data Tool Presentation Recording
- Pre-Employment Transition Services Data Tool Slides
- Pre-Employment Transition Services Transcript
Employment Status at Exit and Post-Exit Data Tool (Coming Soon)
The RehabData Workgroup is building its third Data Tool related to the first of The Other Measures That Matter: Sustaining Employment After Exit and plans to share this resources in Spring 2021.